|Photo credit – Kimpton Hotel|
For the Oscars, the Kimpton Hotels rolled out a fun set of cocktails inspired by nominated flicks (I obviously loved the “Strong and Silent Type” inspired by The Artist) at Helix Lounge. With the Oscars behind, time to look back to that other race going on… the race for the White House. Super Tuesday is just a few days away, and that means 419 GOP delegates are at stakes between Vermont (17), Alaska (24), North dakota (28), Idaho (32), Massachusetts (38), Oklahoma (40), Virginia (46), Tennessee (55), Ohio (63) and Georgia (76.) Watching the results roll in is always a ton of fun, and the Kimpton Hotels are joining in with a Super Tuesday Viewing Party at Topaz Bar, complete with cocktails inspired by the candidates this time…
From 5 p.m. until close, Kimpton Mixologist Rico Wisner will stir up politically-charged campaign cocktails, including drinks inspired by the four GOP candidates and President Barack Obama. Patrons can throw their support towards their favorite presidential hopeful by ordering one of the following drinks from the official 2012 Topaz Bar Campaign Cocktail Menu:
- Like the candidate it represents, the Romney Float with Old Dominion Root Beer, whipped heavy cream and a house-made “Salted Lake” caramel drizzle is non-alcholic… and rich 😉
- Put on your best sweater vest to sip on the Rick’s Tea Party! It’s made with green tea infused Absolut Vodka, Benedictine Liqueur, lemon juice and simple syrup.
- Swig down an old-school beer that appeals to the younger generations too, and show support for Ron Paul with a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon (ie. Ron’s PBR).
- My personal favourite puerly based on the pun in its name is certainly the gin-grich and tonic… an old classic with a hint of the South in honor of the former speaker who hopes to do well, I’m sure, in his home state of Georgia.
- And last but not least, the Home Sweet Home is a sweet twist on the District’s official cocktail, the Rickey, with Bulleit Bourbon, lime juice and a hint of pinneaple juice. This nod to both D.C. and Hawaii will be a hit with those voters who hope that the current White House resident can keep his cushy digs for another 4 years…
Don’t worry if you can’t make it to Topaz on Super Tuesday… Topaz’s Campaign Cocktail menu will be available until a nominee is selected. Then it will be a race between two… and the bar will keep a running tally of who’s in the lead. Because you know, that’s a great way to predict who will win the general election this November…
Topaz Bar is located at Topaz, a Kimpton Hotel, at 1733 N Street, NW. Open from 5PM to close, it features features creative, hand-crafted cocktails fashioned by Rico Wisner and contemporary small plates with a Moroccan twist created by Executive Chef Thomas Dunklin. Their Happy Hour Liquid Therapy runs every Monday through Friday from 5 – 7 p.m. with special prices on drinks and food.