Stuck in the city for the summer? Luckily, there are a ton of events across town to help you pretend you’re in France.
CHEER FOR LES BLEUS DURING THE WORLD CUP
Head to Redline on game day to join the French Expat Meet-Up and L’Union des Français de l’étranger de Washington in supporting l’Equipe de France as they fight to get out of Group H. And if you want to learn more about Les Bleus, head to l’Alliance Francaise after the game on Friday, June 20. Sports historian Lindsay Krasnoff will moderate a panel of sports journalists on the history and importance of the 1998 World Cup champions in French society.
LA FETE DE LA MUSIQUE
It’s one of my favourite events every year. New York goes all out with an awesome French concert at Summer Stage on June 21 (this year, M and Emilie Simon are headlining – I really wish I could make it!) We’re not as lucky in Washington but there are still a number of fun musically filled events taking place:
- Art Soiree and l’Alliance Francaise are teaming up for an all-day musical experience at the Sofitel hotel downtown on June 21.
- La Fete de Musique at the French Embassy, also June 21.
The following week, Malmaison is hosting Dimitri from Paris for a special concert as well, and that should be pretty awesome!
CATCH A FRENCH MOVIE (OR AT LEAST ONE SET IN FRANCE)
Lots of good options this summer:
- Julie & Julia on the outdoor screen at the Mosaic District on August 1.
- July 13, Private Fears in Public Places will be screening (for free) at the French Embassy
- Venus in Fur, Polanski’s latest film, opens July 25 in the US.
- The Hundred Foot Journey, based on the international best seller about a culinary war between an Indian family and an established chef in a small french village, comes out on August 8. and clash with the local established chef.
- OSS 117: Cairo Nest of Spies on August 13 at l’Alliance Francaise
CELEBRATE LE QUATORZE JUILLET
Head to your favourite French restaurant on July 14 or check out one of these events:
- Bastille Day at the Embassy of France (July 11)
- Bastille themed open house at l’Alliance Francaise (July 11)
- Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens’ French Festival (July 12)
- Bastille Day 4K with the DC Road Runners (July 14)
Have a very French été!