The 2014 AFI-EU Film Showcase opens today at AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring, Maryland. Presented by the American Film Institute (AFI) in collaboration with the Delegation of the European Union to the United States and EU Member States, the festival showcases the best in current European filmmaking and this year’s selection includes more than 50 films shown throughout the month of December (the 27th edition of the festival runs from December 3-21, 2014.)
French and French-language films are well represented, as always:
- The Dardenne brothers’ “Two days, one night” (showing Fri, Dec 12, 7:30 and Sun, Dec 14, 3:40), Belgium’s official selection for the Oscars
- Girlhood (Thu, Dec 4, 9:45pm and Sat, Dec 6, 10pm)
- Marie’s Story (Sun, Dec 7, 5:30pm and Mon, Dec 8, 9:15pm)
- If you don’t I will (Sun, Dec 14, 1:30pm and Tue, Dec 16, 7:30pm)
- Anne Fontaine’s Gemma Bovery which is premiering on the festival’s closing night and is a clever nod on Flaubert’s Madame Bovary (Dec 20, 8pm.) The screening will be following by a reception sponsored by the European Union Delegation to the United States.
- Jackie in the Kingdom of Women (Sat, Dec 20, 10:10pm and Sun, Dec 21, 7:45pm)
On Saturdays December 6, 13 and 20, from 5-7pm, the theater is also offering wine samples from the countries showcased that particular day. That means French wine on the 20th! On the 14th, don’t miss a special free screening of 3 short films on December 14 at 5:45pm. The films include Castello Cavalcanti by Wes Anderson and a French language movie called Les Lézards.
Click here for more information on the 2014 AFI-EU Film Showcase and to view a full schedule.